Thursday, April 19, 2007

Vikings of Rexburg

Did you know BYU has a campus in Rexburg, Idaho? Well, their thriving jazz culture, according to Wikipedia (take that as you will) prompted an international visit from their band to Concepcion, Chile. The Universidad de Concepcion sponsored a "Noches de Jazz" concert performed by Sound Alliance and Vocal Union, the jazz instrumental and vocal groups, respectively, from the BYU-Idaho campus who apparently tour exclusively in Chile.

The concert was a mixed bag. The Sinatra cover of "Fly Me to the Moon" was dazzling, however, not to disrespect the performers, the concert made me think of having heard music from African Americans rerecorded by whites for radio play. You'll recall that was a part of U.S. history. Anyway, there were some excellent renditions, but at the same time, some were a bit lacking in feeling. Altogether, an entertaining and economical experience.

2 comments:

John R. said...

Akshai...evidently as one of your Mo' sources, I have failed you. I'm digging your blog though and am going to link it to mine if you don't mind...how are things going?

JohnRon

KS said...

As your other Mormon friend, I will comment here too. Back in my day, the campus was called "Ricks College" and I still refuse to acknowledge that it's been changed to BYU Idaho. So, please don't associate them with the GREAT BYU that I come from. :)