Sunday, August 5, 2007

Y vos...¿Conocés a Maradona?

Just back from my trip to Buenos Aires, I can think of few better ways to commemorate my return from one soccer-crazed land to another than to introduce (or reintroduce, as may be the case for some of you) to the Argentine soccer god, Maradona. Why is the goal so important you ask?

1) It thrusts the Porteño from soccer fame into deity--literally there is a church based on his divinity (check the link you didn't click on).

2) It was scored against the British years after being humiliated in the Falklands War at their hands.

3) It's widely considered the most famous and best goal in the history of soccer. There's even a memorial to the goal.

4) I just got back from Argentina, a place where you may not ask who Diego Maradona is lest you should want to turn a very amiable group of hosts into an anti-gringo mob--trust me, I know this one from experience.

In other news, my first batch of Buenos Aires pictures is up, here. There are hundreds more coming.

No comments: