Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Folkloristas


Last Thursday I was graced with the opportunity to attend prominent folklorists Inti Illimani's concert here in Concepcion. "Fue bien" (it went well), to say the least. The L.A. Times calls their music "floats within your soul, filling it with calmness and hope. Despite being a newspaper from l.a. (left intentionally uncapitalized), I can't say I disagree.

Probably the best part was the fact that every Chilean I talk to knows and loves Inti, which made it particularly odd to me that a band of such gravity would play such an intimate concert in Sala Dos (literally Room Two, but also the second, if not the third best venue for such an event). The historical context of their story lends a lot to why the band is so beloved, no doubt.

But for me, even if I don't understand every word, I can recognize that the music is just quality. Enjoy "Sobre tu Playa."

No comments: